Chinese Life Cycle Database – CLCD
1. Content of CLCD database
Up to now, there are more than 600 datasets in CLCD 0.8 version, and is still expanding. Some main products see below. [[i]]
2. Features of CLCD database
- The data of CLCD represent the Chinese market average technology
- During data collection of CLCD, first distinguish is made between domestic production and imported parts. For imported raw materials Ecoinvent and ELCD databases are applied to represent the production aboard. Domestic production is further broken down by process technology and factory scale to collect data and set up models. Finally by weighted average market share in China, the market average technology data are calculated.
- Data sourceSome process data are from cooperative factories, modified as estimation of industrial average rather than a specific factory data.
- In most unit process, raw material consumption data are primarily from industry statistics or technical literature, the main emission data are from China Pollution Source Census, partial emissions data are from chemical equilibrium calculation.
- Uniform data collection guidance
- Guidance of CLCD database development makes according appropriate recommendations and requirements for each step in the process of database development and documentation. Developed corresponding functions of eBalance, ensured the efficient flow of operation and consistency.
- Complete data collection record
Data collection record is done in eBalance. Data collection process including the original data and the algorithm is completely recorded, which made data collection process can be repeated at any time and can be traced back.
- Data quality check, evaluation and controlBased on Ecoinvent data quality assessment method, CLCD proposed data quality assessment method based on raw data’s uncertainty and data quality control method based on sensitivity analysis, collectively referred to as CLCD-Q method.
- In CLCD 1.0 version, every piece of data in each dataset would be provided with its standard deviations and 95% confidence interval. All the CLCD users can also do the same CLCD-Q method for data quality assessment and control.
- During the database development, according to the guidance of database development, completeness check and mass balance check are conducted.
3. Application of CLCD database:
3.1 International activities
- The only publicly available comprehensive database in China currently with more than 700 users and is still growing.
- First place award in the 2009 UNEP/SETAC LCA Award by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- International member of Advisor Board of Ecoinvent database and European ELCD database.
- Participate in the preparation of the UNEP’s “Global guidance principles for life cycle assessment database”. As chairman of working group for chapter II – data collection of unit process dataset.
3.2 Application in certification
- Compliance with international standards: compared the major international standards and comparatively analyzed on the differences between these standards, analyzed the impact of these differences on carbon footprints database and carbon footprint calculation.
- The third party database of WRI/WBCSD GHG protocol of World Resources Institute (Currently the only selected database in China).
- National standards development: Product LCA Evaluation Standards (Product Category Rule for float glass and aluminum-plastic composite panel, the first batch of standards of this kind).
- Proposed Chinese GHG emission factors of electricity for organization and product carbon footprint calculation, correcting common errors for domestic work.
Some LCA studies and certification based on CLCD and eBalance: Carbon footprint of TetraPak package material (certified by Korean KEITI); Carbon footprint of Lenovo computers (certified by China Electronic Standardization Institute, CESI); LCA report of Samsung TV sets for Energy Efficiency Star; Carbon footprint and water footprint of Mars Dove chocolate (by China Agricultural University and Australian CSIRO)
[[i]] complete product list: http://www.itke.com.cn/blog/downloads?did=26.